Topband: CN8WW - CQ WWDX SSB wrap up

Joerg Puchstein dl8wpx@attglobal.net
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:26:36 -0000

Hello everybody,

first of all - my apologies for not being more active during this session
from Morocco. There was just to much to do preparing the whole
contest-station. So we made just a hand full of QSO on 160 before and
after the contest.
I really hope to do better around the CW part in two weeks time.

Reading the "Bizarre conditions 10/28 on top band" comments, here my
2 cents:

1. Setup
  This time I wasn't alone on 160 - Falk, DK7YY made a great job assisting
  me on this 'masochism'-band (only in SSB of course :-).
  We've used TS-850 and a Ten-Tec Titan Amp with 1.5kW Output into
  a 2-el Inverted-L phased array directly on the beach. RX-antennas were
  5 excellent working Beverages (each about 550ft long). We were able to listen
  with two operators into two different Beverage directions all the time thanks
  to the Beverage switching box developed by Uli, DK4VW (6 Bev-RX-signals
  can independently be distributed to 6 different operator positions, 2x 40m,
  2x 80m, 2x 160m).

2. Condx
  They were in average good during the first 23 hours on saturday.
  After 6 hours we've finished the first night with 466 QSO, after 24 hours
  we've had 766 QSO's, 131 more than in 1999.
  Suddenly the K-index went from 1 to 6 and the band died. The whole
  second day we managed only 184 more QSO's, with an especially poor
  time between 1:00 and 4:00Z Sunday morning (our usual running time into
  North America) with only 10 QSO's. The condx didn't really recover until
  the end of the contest.

3. Listening conditions:
  If you claim the bad receiving in Europe, keep in mind that specially
  Eastern and Southern Europe (including the related Northern Africa) is
  developing a kind of new "Iron Curtain" again in each contest.
  Most of the stations have very poor receiving antennas and try to attract
  their clients with very loud and overmodulated signals (Some of them we've
  heard up to 10 kHz wide even from 1000 miles away).
  So missing discipline and a wrong technical perception in Europe is the
  real source of "one way propagation" during this contests.
  This effect is not specially related to 160, same you will find on 75 and 40
  meters.
  Anyway - In Morocco I was lucky to be on the outscirts of this curtain,
  having a perfect Beverage for North America (Beaming 310 degree,
  with Europe in 40 degree) reducing the European QRM to nearly Zero.
  Our 330 contacts with zone 2, 4, 5 and 8 would not have been possible
  without this kind of secret weapon.
  No zone 3 was heard this time, but strong signals from zone
  9, 10, 11 and 13 were a certain relief. Many Carribeans were as always
  to late on 160 - just showing up even after our sunrise (which is 1.5 hours
  after central Europe) and were unfortunately also not very active during
  their sunset - so they've missed the "easy multiplier".
  Example how to do it was P40W - he got us with his QRP signal in one shot.
  Nevertheless our problem was too to break the European curtain mentioned
  above with our "QRP" signal (At least in European terms). At least we got
  zone 17 this time, but zone 21 was missing.

At the end of the day we finished with 951 Q's, 16 zones and 77 countries.
CW will be for sure another story and I'm looking desperatly forward to
hand CN out once again on 160.

Cu soon from Morocco again,

vy73,

Joerg, DL8WPX / YB1AQS