Topband: Dipole and Ladder Line

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:13:10 -0500

>   Thomas KN4LF Says:
>   Balanced line is never truly balanced, so yes it does radiate. You
> might want to consider tying the rig side of the feedline together for a T
> antenna, a better antenna for DX on 160 meters. Add 58' to the feedline
> and you will have a voltage fed T, with the highest current point near the
> flat top, with something close to vertical polarization.

Hi Thomas,

I don't understand why you say a balanced line is "never truly
balanced".

While it is true a line with unequal and not-exactly-opposite
currents will radiate, that also applies to coaxial lines.

It is possible to install a balanced line so radiation occurs (because
it is not perfectly balanced), but then it is just as possible to install
a coaxial line that radiates (when not perfectly UNbalanced with
voltage at the ends).

All lines radiate when the currents flowing into and out of the two
conductors are not exactly equal and opposite at both line ends. It
is quite easy to have either type line have negligible radiation.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com