Topband: Wide band noise, Low Band Radar Tests?

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:05:51 EST

Last year, a very similar noise had appeared repeatedly centered around
3.790MHz, 30-50KHz wide.  It was descibed by many with experience as a broad
band signal associated with low band radar tests.  It appeared like clock
work at 1200Z for several months, then at 13:00Z, with the time change, and
would last for around an hour, and sometimes would remain on throughout the
day time hours, turning on and off several times.

>From Wyoming, Washington, and reports in California, best guess was that this
signal orginated somewhere in Nevada our southern Utah.  The signal had
similar signal peaks and nodes on my scope as W8ji described with the 160
signal.  Living on 80 meters last year, it was a common nuisance.  It might
still be there this season but I have not noticed it the few times I've been
on in the mornings-  I last heard it this past October.

There was a Candian station that created simlar  inrterference in the 80
meter CW window last year during the east coast USA sunset and into their
early evening hours, exactly like the one we were getting on 80 meters at our
sunrise out west.

This signal was actually discovered to be from a Candian government radar
test site and they moved it down out of range of the amatuer band when
approached.  This signal was referred to many times as the "Buzzsaw" and
postings in last years TowerTalk make reference to it as does a search on
OH2AQ's spot search by call...just enter in "buzzsaw" for call sign and you
will see it posted several times last year.  It was mentioned in a few ARRL
publications-  Recordings of the Canadian Buzzsaw and the mystery buzzsaw out
west were identical- same radar, different site-  Not surprised to see
probable experimentation on 160- From researching the buzzsaw last year, like
interstate highways, I was told that the feds can do what they want, where
they want, when projects are associated with National security- And I doubt
if they see the amateur needs of the stateside "boyz" outweighing  the
security interests of this country-  wierd science eh?

73  Paul N0AH