Topband: Re: [psk31] Question about 160 meters

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:27:41 -0500

Hi Peter,

> If the SSB dx calling frequency on 160m is 1840 kHz LOWER SIDEBAND,
> then it contravenes the IARU bandplan. As far as I can see from my

The IARU and the ARRL need to meet someplace for lunch, and
bring a few long-time 160 operators along. Both the IARU and the
ARRL are out-of-touch with the real world, and each other.

The ARRL bandplan defines 1830-1850 as a DX ONLY area.

Conventional usage has CW DX between 1823 or so and 1837. DX
SSB has settled on 1840 LSB, because of other activity on the
band. This is the "Gentleman' Agreement" in the USA.

> copy of the bandplan, the lower edge of SSB on 160m is 1840kHZ, which
> means that LSB operation could be no lower than a carrier frequency of
> about 1843 kHz. Any lower than that will be causing QRM in the 1838-1840
> kHz band allocated to RTTY under the bandplan.

Bandplans are nice, but it is always a good idea to investigate what
the actual usage is before establishing a calling frequency.

Operators seem to be confused about what frequency they are on.
I see many PSK operators using the reading on the radio as the
actual frequency, and not properly using the radio's indicated
frequency minus the tone frequency on LSB. Other operators have
the same problem, I hear many LSB stations on something like
7150 in the USA, not understanding they are actually "out-of-the
band".

If you and I want to work together to educate the whole world, and
move the people in Florida off 1845 kHz and move all the DX
stations up to 1843 or higher, then 1838 would be a lovely
frequency for PSK.

It probably would be easier and better received for PSK to fall in
with the people on the band and use a clear spot, instead of
suddenly appearing and telling long-time users of the band how and
where to operate.

I'm sure if PSK was using a frequency for years, its longtime
operators wouldn't welcome someone telling them everything
suddenly has to change.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com