Topband: K4SXT in A9

David Kennedy daveN4SU@att.net
Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:06:00 -0400

TOP BANDERS: Here is the latest word received from Gus,
K4SXT, now in Bahrein, A9.

Current status:  I have my license application in with
the Wireless Bureau here - am told that I will have
license in 2 more weeks (approx 14 October).  I have
asked for call sign A92ZE and have been told off the
record that I will get it (but have to wait and see).
I have the station set up with an HF2-V on my roof @40
feet and tuned  - ready for 40 and 80.  The rig made
the move in good shape (IC756/AL-1200).  My QTH is
good for hamming - private villa, underground wiring,
only 50 feet from the Arabian Gulf (I face East) - the
bad news is that there is no way I can squeeze in an
inverted L. The good news is that I still have my
Alpha Delta DX-A from the early 9V1ZE days and I can
put that up.  It worked ok (small letters) even with
low power from Singapore.  In any event, I will be
ready to operate as soon as the license is granted.
Although the 160 signal may be marginal, I WILL
eventually have a decent signal, somehow, this winter.
I expect to be competitive on 40 and 80 right away.

The general noise level here on 40 in the evening
hours (sunset approx 1500z) is a minimum of S7-9 --
between the commercial digital signals.   In the early
morning (sunrise approx 0230z), the noise is much less
- that is good news for stations to my West.  Noise on
160 has been much better than I was expecting and I
have heard a number of stations.

I have to learn a whole new order of propagation and
figure out operating times - I am a Far East guy and
this Middle East stuff is foreign to me.  Hi

That is all for now.  73,

Gus
K4SXT
---