Topband: PSK 31 Enthusiast and others

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:00:33 -0400

I hate to add one more post to this, but we all need to remember
how PSK is generated! It is quite often NOT the pure tone it is
assumed to be.

> WW2Y a friend and co-worker AND AVID TOPBANDER
> suggested the same frequencies.
> 1805 to 1810  KHz
> The PSK32 website says 1838.15.  NOT GOOD.

I'd agree with Peter, but for slightly different reasons.

We could count on everything from 1842 (LSB) to about 1834 or so
having problems on occasion from less-than-perfect systems.

If it was generated some other way than feeding audio from a
soundblaster card into a SSB rig's microphone jack, it wouldn't
matter much if it was up around 1840. As a matter of fact, I'd love
to have a steady PSK marker for the bottom end of the phone band.

Since PSK it is generated in a soundblaster and sent via audio
lines into a SSB transmitter, that frequency is a very poor choice at
any time of the year!

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com