Topband: 4w

W7lr@aol.com W7lr@aol.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:56:16 EDT

N6FF is really a good operator.  I got up at 5 am, 1100z, to hear him cq - he
kept that up until 1330z and beyond.  For more than an hour I dont believe
that he could hear anyone.  During that early time my noise level was s2 to
s4, average s3, and his signal about s 1.  Our MT sunrise is 1335z.  About
1300z his signal began to come up out of the noise and qsb, first around s3,
then s5, and a very short peak of s9 at 1320z, and soon went down fast,
probably peaking then for w6.  In that 2.5 hours he probably worked 5
stations, and probably more at w6 sunrise. I made a big mistake, of moving my
tx vfo.  Then heard him call and call W7LR, and I'd try to remember where the
vfo had been!  Finally I tx below the pile and he came right back for a good
qso - what  a great operator.  I have learned a lesson - dont move the tx
vfo, or at least remember where it had been!
I have EWE rx antennas for 6 directions - he was best on JA direction, and a
bit less on the VK antenna, about as you would expect for normal path
propagation.
I owe Dick an 807 at the next Visalia convention.  73 Bob W7LR