Topband: Stew Perry Fun Index

Ward Silver hwardsil@WOLFENET.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:15:38 -0700 (PDT)

Well then, the amount of fun people are having will also decline and I
predict a return to low-power as the most popular in a couple or three
years.  This is a self-correcting problem.  People will wind up entering
the category in which they have the most fun - which usually translates
into number of available QSOs.

If the structure of the contest is such that not enough people are having
enough fun to keep it going, then it probably won't survive.

The great variability of Topband propagation certainly an element of
uncertainty on a nightly basis to selecting an entry category, as well.

This partially tongue-in-cheek assessment doesn't really address Tom's
concern that stations out in the boonies can't make QSOs because the
QRPers can't reach them.  I think this will correct itself over time, as
well.  Once the QRPers hit the limit of their range and can still hear the
strong and distant stations, some will decide that there is more fun to be
had with 100-watts and then more QSOs will be made.

73, Ward N0AX