Topband: Summary: Critters eating my coax

ted demopoulos kr1g@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:36:32 GMT

Thanks for all the responses!

They're listed roughly in order of number of responses/amusement value :)

I'm going to try a combination of the recommendations with a "*" next to
them first

73

Ted, KR1G

* Run a Multi Multi. Lock the bathrooms. Issue all ops a plastic milk jug.
Apply contents liberally to coax after the contest :)

* Use a flooded cable. They hate the taste of the flooding compound and it's
self sealing.

-They like salt, which comes from your hands touching the coax. try wearing
gloves and/orwashing the coax with a solvent

* many votes for mothballs

- lotsa votes for hardline, although some critters apparently even eat thru
that.

- install in PVC or other piping. Long runs of flexible PVC are available
cheaply in
Australia (and I think I've seen some in the US too)

- a few votes for diesel or gas. a very quick swipe on coax, or for
insulated regular wire, try soaking.

- Ask the local feed and grain store for advice.

- a natural remedy (from PBS) is HAIR!!. COntact your local barber, they
throw the stuff away!

- try cleaning out the critters with Decon Mouse poison or similar.

- run the coax through a garden hose

* Coat the coax with white grease or Moly Grease - they hate the taste of
it.

- Try "Dog OFF" or similar from a pet store

- Elevate the coax (some say this doesn't work)

- wax based pepper spray for organic gardening

- hot pepper oil (especially for cows)