Topband: Univerasl UN-UN RX transformer kit..K0FF

Larry Molitor w7iuv@earthlink.net
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:34:10 +0000

Geo,

In my albeit limited experience, the small diameter cores (0.5 in and less)
prohibit a large enough wire size to insure reasonable survival. Lighting
and close proximity to TX antennas, even those on the higher bands, will
destroy wires as large as #24 under hostile condx.

A core size of about 1 to 1.5 inch seems to work out well, (#18 or #20
wire?) except that the whole assembly is somewhat heavy to hang out at the
feed point of a "Flag" or similar construction RX antenna.

It would be nice to have the option to pick between the two. Just a suggestion.

I'm about to drop my "Rotateable Flag" and replace the transformer for the
second time. I don't have any beverages at this time, but have lost a bunch
of the smaller transformers on those in the past.

73,

Larry - W7IUV