Topband: 40 foot diameter shielded loop

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:56:17 -0400

Hi Ford,

This topic come up from time to time. There is a lot of
misinformation circulated about loops. Newer editions of Reference
Data for Radio Engineers has a somewhat plain text explanation of
small loops. I know we try to restrict the bandwidth, but this is a
common topic on 160 meters so I'll get a bit detailed.

At times instruments like the Autek and AEA give the wrong sign,
so be careful! Add a fixed component and be sure the sign is
correct.

> With that being said, I was expecting to see an inductive reactance at the
> loop.  Instead I see a very low R and capacitive.  What's up with that?

More is going on than meets the eye. I'll try to explain.

> Can anyone explain to me what it is that is being "matched" on a shielded
> loop?
> Can anyone explain to me why 20 feet appears to be the maximum allowable
> loop size -- or so I've been told from several articles, none of which
> explained why.  Is the shielded loop a resonant or non-resonant antenna?
>The shield is the antenna, not the wire inside the shield. The shield
>doesn't just "shield", it actually becomes the antenna.

The inside of the shield is *totally* isolated from the outside by the
skin effect. Neither magnetic nor electric fields at the operating
frequency pass through the walls of the shield when the shield is
several skin depths thick. (Just like what they tell you about coax
in transmission lines.)

At the gap in the shield, the current induced on the outside "spills
over" the edge. The voltage difference across that gap excites an
exactly equal and opposite direction current on the inside wall of
the shield. (That's why if you short that gap the loop goes dead.)
We really have a path that involves the length of the shield TWICE,
once all the way around on the outside and once all the way
around on the inside. Only the outside is involved in responding to
electromagnetic (not magnetic only!) fields.

The turn inside the loop (the center conductor) couples directly
ONLY to the inside of the shield. The center conductor's current
flows the opposite direction of current inside the shield. Of course
that makes the direction the same as the outside of the shield!
There is distributed capacitance, extra loss resistance, and a lot of
other effects involved in all of this.

It shouldn't be surprising the loop looks much "longer" than we
would expect, since the inside and outside are effectively in series!
There are also some distributed capacitance effects at work.

Within about 1/10 wl of a small loop, the field impedance is low.
(Field impedance is the ratio of electric and magnetic effects,
including the radiation field and induction fields that are both
electric and magnetic.) That means the magnetic induction field
dominates.

At about 1/10th of a wavelength out, the field impedance increases.
The total field response of a small "magnetic" loop is actually
electric field dominant at that distance. (A very small vertical would
be magnetic field dominant at the same distance!)

At about 1/2 wl or so out the loop responds to fields just like any
other antenna in the world. You couldn't tell if it was a loop or a
small electric probe doing the radiating or receiving at that
distance!

The name "magnetic loop" is a misnomer, unless you are talking
about what happens in the area immediately next to a small loop
antenna (within about 50 feet or so on 160 meters). Even at that
distance you have to remember the loop still responds to electric
fields. If it didn't, it would be stone dead for hearing any signals!

To be called a "small loop" the antenna has to carry essentially
equal current around the circumference. That's why you hear
numbers like "20 feet" bantered about. Your loop will still receive,
but it is becoming so large it is starting to move away from the
characteristics of a true small loop. The field impedance
surrounding your antenna is moving closer to that of a large dipole
or monopole, not that it hurts anything.

The shield does not make it a "magnetic only antenna", despite
popular folklore that it does.

To be resonant, the loop has to have any reactance cancelled...no
matter what sign the reactance is.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com