Topband: 2-wire Beverages

Donald L Kerouac k9nr@juno.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 05:18:18 -0500

I have built 2-wire Beverages using different configurations and
terminations.
My first was 2 fourteen gauge conductors spaced about six inches apart
four feet off the ground.  At the terminus, I floated one conductor and
grounded the other.  It was fed push-push and push-pull at the other end
for a two directional system.  This antenna worked well.
Last year I used cheap 300 ohm TV twinlead for the two conductors (I got
a large quantity for a song and I don't sing well!).  I terminated the
far end with a homebrew reflection transformer.  I believe I used a type
75 ferrite core.  This system worked better (better system balance and
better balance to ground gives much better F/B ratio).
Complete info on these antennas and respective transformers is in ON4UN's
book.  I strongly recommend you thoroughly read a copy.  It will answer
many if not all your questions.
Have fun.  I strongly recommend 2-wire Beverages.

73...Don, K9NR