Topband: critters chomping on coax

Steve Ireland sire@iinet.net.au
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 07:41:08 +0800

Hi,

Down here Down Under we have problems with parrots chewing on coaxial.
Galahs, in particular, just love to chew on rubber and particularly like
coaxial cable outer coatings.  I lost several runs of RG213 to parrots, who
chewed through the rubber outer and let water in.

My wife Deb came up with the idea several years ago of sheathing coaxial
cables in the very tough flexible PVC tubing used for
reticulation/automatic watering of gardens.  This can be bought in various
bore sizes, to suit all coaxial cable sizes.  It worked perfectly and I
later discovered that this what the emergency services in Western Australia
use to protect their feeders on radio towers

While this solution isn't going to stop a bear from snacking on cables, it
probably should stand up to the teeth of small rodents, squirrels, etc.  A
reel 20 metres long of the stuff suitable to sheath RG213 only costs a few
Australian dollars.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ