Topband: Update on New Antenna

Peter Cook peter.sally@pacific.net.sg
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 05:46:44 +0800

Folks,

Thanks for all the kind messages and suggestions.  This half wave dipole
at 300ft is becoming a bit of a crusade now - I have a team of helpers
including some lightning protection experts (one of the famous national
statistics is that Singapore experiences thunderstorms on 40% of all
days- OWCH).  The condo manager is also intrigued- at this rate I'll be
running morse classes soon....

I am thinking of parallelling up two half wave dipoles, for 160 and 80,
on the same 75ohm feeder to give me good coverage on two bands.

>From experience of the past 2 seasons here my biggest challenge is going
to be QRN- atmospheric QRN at S9 plus most of the time..  Visitors here,
such as Pres N6SS, have been amazed at the lack of QRN from line noise
in this urban jungle- no static crashes and the band is quiet..

The pennants I have on the 3rd storey car park roof are increasing
sheilded by the Faraday cage of reinforced concrete condo blocks going
up in this area (3 more this season).  Beverages are impossible.

Pennants are going to be difficult on the 21st storey roof (nothing to
support the apex and a BIG lightning risk), so I will try a COAX loop
and a Lance Johnson ECP preamp on the 21st storey roof.

Now where's my hard hat??  I'll keep you posted.

Pictures will be uploaded on my WEBsite
http://home4.pacific.net.sg/~peter.sally/   when completed.

73's

Peter, 9V1PC