Topband: Beverage construction questions

Fritz Reuning K4OAQ k4oaq@chartertn.net
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:58:30 -0400

I was planning on using 17 gauge aluminum electric fence wire, but I'm abt
to decide that would be a mistake.  I've got both a 1wl and 2wl beverage in
mind.  Can I get away with using #16 or #18 insulated stranded copper wire?

I plan on using 10ft pieces of 5/8inch rebar as supports for a beverage
(the rebar will be driven into the gnd 2ft).  My question is what distance
should the ant wire be from the piece of rebar.  They make these nice
plastic things for electric fence wire that would screw onto the rebar, but
the ant wire would be within 1 to 2 inches from the rebar. Is this too
close?  My other idea, that requires slightly more work, is to cut a 1 to
2ft piece of PVC pipe and clamp it to the top of the rebar and run the ant
wire thru a slot in the pipe.  So, what should the minimum distance be
between rebar and ant?

If I were to use the elec fence plastic thingees, do you think that the
rebar would rotate until the ant wire touches the rebar?

I plan on terminating the beverage with one-fourth wavelength of wire.  Is
this one-fourth wl in free space?  Or is the length not that critical?

Tks in advance for any answers.

73,

Fritz K4OAQ