Topband: IMPORTANT Administrivia

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:47:02 +0100

Greetings Topbanders!

        On September 1, you will all receive an E-mail from Mailman
giving you your password for this list.  This password was generated
automatically when we switched the list from Majordomo to Mailman
so you have NEVER seen it before.  In order for you to manage your own
subscription status YOU MUST HAVE THIS PASSWORD so don't lose it.

        To manage your own subscription on the Web, go to the general
information page at:

and enter the e-mail address you are subscribed with at the VERY BOTTOM of
the page under "Edit Options".  Then you will see a page which will allow
you many options such as temporarily disabling mail while on vacation,
changing your password, switching from normal to digest mode, etc.  It
would help me greatly if you take a few minutes to learn to do these things
so I don't need to do them for you...which may not happen as quickly as if
you do it yourself.

        Of course it is still possible to subscribe and unsubscribe by
E-mail simply by sending a message to topband-request@contesting.com with
subscribe or unsubscribe in the SUBJECT line (not the text body which was
the way Majordomo worked).

        After a few startup snafus, Mailman seems to be working extremely
well, especially with managing the usual bounces that our ISP's sometimes
generate.  I've also learned how to edit out HTML and lengthy attachments,
but would still appreciate it if YOU would learn to do this yourself.

        August 30 marks the 5th anniversary of the date Topband was switched
from AA6TT to contesting.com.  It has been a great experience for me and my
thanks to Bill AA6TT for starting Topband and to Bill W4AN for hosting it.
I believe we are still maintaining the high S/N ratio we had years ago which
is certainly not the case for many of the lists I read today.  Thanks to YOU
for keeping it that way by keeping information content high and noise low!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV