Topband: 160M Short Verticals

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:05:12 -0400

Hi John,

> Basically I agree: there is only improvement with the multiple
> in-phase verticals when the original ground system *is* smaller than
> optimum.

The point I tried to make is that each individual ground system has
to be smaller than optimum, and *isolated*, with no way to connect
them for a multi-drop system to help. In other words, it only helps if
there are specific current distribution problems in the ground
system layout.

A multi-drop system can not make a small system "look large", it
can not improve the efficiency of a given physical area system
unless that system has some sort of layout or connection problem.

> here.  The issue is whether there are any practical situations where
> there would be a benefit.  An extreme example would be a vertical with
> just a ground rod as a ground system.

Good point.

But we should keep in mind if we added a second drop and a
second ground rod, the result would essentially be no different than
if we kept the single drop and simply used two ground rods with the
same spacing with the single drop!

As a matter of fact, if we had a well laid out ground system and
removed a vertical in the center and split it into multiple verticals at
or near the system's edges, things would actually get worse....not
better.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com