Topband: Delaware report

Jon Zaimes AA1K jon.zaimes@dol.net
Sun, 04 Feb 2001 12:51:21 +0000

Yesterday FO/DL5XU and V73CW had good signals at sunrise, but no JAs and
could only barely hear KH0/JA1DD. And we hadn't heard anything at sunrise
for several days before that.

Today we started listening at 1100z; saw the spots from JA that KH0/JJ1KXB
was on 1819 kHz, but no copy here and nothing else on the band, though we
heard W8JI work a JA or two. Kept listening on 1819 kHz and finally started
to hear a signal break the noise at 1045z, and could copy his call a few
minutes later -- KH0/JJ1KXB in the log for no. 276 at 1152z! He was 449
then, but peaked up to 569 just after 1200z (sunrise here is 1205z today).
Best copy was direct path, on the 312-degree Beverage.

European signals at their sunrise have been excellent the past week, with
generally quiet band conditions. But could not copy JW5HE when he was
active just after sunset here yesterday. Hoping he can try around
0600-0700z this week.

73/Jon AA1K
Delaware