Topband: 160M during ARRL DX CW

Arne Gjerning gjerning@flash.net
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:07:22 -0700

Great conditions on Friday night in New Mexico. Had not planned to get
on that night (had to leave for work Sat at 0545 local) but after
hearing ands working STRONG Europeans on 80M I was asked to qsy to 160M
by M6T. I did not work him but had fun with 17 other EU stns that night.
Even heard them between the strong US stations that were spaced across
the band.

Nothing fancy here btw, TS-940S (10db atten in to kill local 50KW am
stns), 1500W out amp, and 1 antenna (a sloper from 80 ft on my tower 8
ft below my 5el20M 52 ft boom and 20 ft below the 2el 40M Cushcraft)
that passes below power and telephone lines and ends up 2 ft off the
beach here near Albuquerque. (Lot of beach, NO water).

My advise, just keep at it, simple antennas do work OK, NOT as good as a
4-square, but I do not have room for them OR a beverage. I just keep
trying and enjoy this band. Damn, wish I was retired so I could stay up
every night like some folks. Just hope I gave a multiplier to a few
folks.

Next major competition for me is Visalia. Hope to see other topbanders
there again this year.

73 de Arne N7KA

Take having fun seriously, forget the competition of others.