Topband: Stew Perry Contest

k6se@juno.com k6se@juno.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 10:56:10 -0800

Unbelievably good receiving condx were prevalent at our salt lake bed
portable QTH in the Stew Perry affair.

We used a pair of 70-foot top-loaded phased verticals at Koehn Dry Lake
in the Mojave Desert, far from civilization and any man-made noises.  The
S-0 noise level there is really a pleasure to experience.

We were multi-op with operators K6NDV, N6MU, W6VX and K6SE.  Contest call
was K6NDV.  345 QSOs netted us 1900 points.  Longest QSO was Mike, VK6HD
at 15158 km, with Steve, VK6VZ a close second at 15051 km.

No EU or African signals were heard.  PY2FUS was big at his sunrise.

Great to hear KV4FZ with a big signal (as usual).

My biggest thrill in the contest was working old friend and 160-meter
pioneer John, W5SUS (ex-W0GDH).  His melodious, swinging fist was easily
recognizable.  John's manipulation of his bug is as unfaltering as it was
in his younger days.  He's 91 years young now!

Looking forward to the next Stew Perry.

73, Happy New Year, Century and Millennium, de Earl, K6SE