Topband: The K9AY on 160

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:05:07 -0600

Fellow topbanders!

Does anybody have experience with the K9AY (specifically the one sold by
Wellbrooke out of the UK) on 160?  I would be interested in comments.

My specific questions:

A reference on the Wellbrooke web page that the distance to the antenna
can't be more than 50 meters.  What's up with that?  I need to run 225' or
so.  What happens?

Can the support be a metal support?  I can place a 30' pole up made of old
well casings in about 10 minutes.  Plastic or wood turns into a real problem
for me.  Additionally, does 40' equate to better performance or is the 9
meter height important?

Are there favored directions?  They talk about 360 degree coverage with
selectivity between 4 favored directions.  Is it continuously variable or
should the antenna be oriented precisely to obtain good directivity at NE SE
NW SW?

How does performance of the K9AY compare to other systems?  Specifically,
pennants, loops, and beverages.

Any other observations may be important as well.

Thanks for the bandwidth...

Ford-N0FP