Topband: Minimum discernible signal ?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:54:47 -0500

W8JI wrote:

>It also would be nice if someone tapped an engineer on the
>houlder on occasion, and reminded him that key clicks are not a
>necessary part of sending CW.
>
>DSP filtered radios, without a narrow IF filter upstream of the DSP,
>simply won't do that. The last time I looked A/D conversion with
>enough speed and bits would cost a thousand bucks. That would
>buy a lot of crystal filters, which when properly designed are just as
>good in BW and don't suffer overload!
>
>Hopefully someday manufacturers will someday look at what is
>important and improve operation on crowded bands.

Very interesting message, Tom.  Makes me wonder why someone with the
necessary technical smarts doesn't offer a modification for better CW to a
popular transceiver (the FT-1000MP comes to mind).  If International Radio
can significantly improve the AGC performance of these radios with a
relatively simple mod, perhaps they or someone else could do the same for
keying.

Back in the old days we used to shape the keying with a couple of
components in the key leads.  I assume it's not that simple any more(?).

73, Pete N4ZR