Topband: RE: Minimum discernible signal ?

Tracy, Michael, KC1SX mtracy@arrl.org
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:11:56 -0500

> K2 and Omni 6+ are not affected by 5 KHz separation as this signal is
still outside of the first SSB crystal filter.

Mario,
        Indeed, receiver architecture is significant to a number of
performance parameters and there are trade-offs here too.  As someone else
pointed out to me, single-conversion designs (as the K2 is) typically have
poor image rejection (although this was measured at 74 dB on 20M with that
rig).

> It would be nice to see log scale for ARRL sweep tests.

I assume you mean for the frequency scale.  :-)    Unfortunately, the
software that generates the graphs would require a fair amount of
modification to implement this.  Also, the finest frequency step used in
these measurements is actually 1 kHz and I wouldn't want to imply something
finer.  Perhaps a "fix" of printing the close-in raw data in a table would
suffice - that I'll incorporate in future reports.

73, Michael, KC1SX