Topband: BOG antenna notes

R. Kline 4x4nj@iname.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 05:30:24 -0000

All of my Beverages (5 of them) are "BOG".  I've found some of them to have
excellent F/B ratio even without a termination.  I'm not sure whether or not
this is due to some "magic" combination of factors, or perhaps just due to
increased loss. The best wire to use is military twisted pair telephone
wire.  It is available on the surplus market, and is very tough - it has
some strands of steel wire and some of copper.  By shorting the far ends
away from the transformer, you can make a simple continuity check with an
ohmeter to check for breaks.  When I do terminate them, I use 200 Ohms as
originally suggested by G3SZA.  Most of my BOG are short - only about a
half-wave long on 160M.  The ground here is extremely poor (rocky,
mountaineous terrain).
73,
Riki, 4X4NJ