Topband: "T" or Inverted L?

VY2MGY VY2MGY@IDIRECT.COM
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 08:38:13 -0000

Hi John et al

I thought about the same thing and decided to use an Inverted L here
because when I compete or ragchew on 160 I want the horizontal
radiation for NVIS work out to a few 100 miles but I also want a low TOA to
the horizon for my DX work. I have found that my Inverted L is the best
compromise
for me. So think about what your priority / available space etc. is and
decide
what is best for you. I modelled [ on NEC3 ] a T top with 50' vertical and
got a sharp null at
90 deg and a main lobe at 25 deg [ -3db beam with = 46.8 deg ] - great for
DX.
My inverted L at 50' however is only -3.51db at 90 deg compared to its main
lobe at
30 deg [ -3db beamwidth = 71.7 deg ] - not bad for either "local" or "DX".

Good luck with what ever you decide to do and welcome to " Top Band "

73 de Brian VE3SQZ / VY2MGY/3