Topband: Elevated Vertical for 160

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:47:34 EST

Last week before the NAQP, I took my wire T-vertical which was at a base of
about 20 feet and raised it to 60 feet at the base.  The T-component of the
antenna is about 40 feet from end to end and the vertical part is around 100
feet after some pruning.  I strung out some radials...some 130 ft, some
around 200+ feet.  There was a total of six radials sloping away from the
base of the antenna in a typical ground plane set-up.  During the contest, it
seemed to work pretty well, and I worked everything I called.
What I want to know is this:  How should I handle the radials?  I believe
that at this height four would suffice.  However, I want to go with eight.
Conventional groundplane antennas usually use radials which are 1/4
wavelength long.  I can go longer than this....possibly 1/2 wavelenth on most
of them.  Should I keep the radials only 1/4 wavelength or should I go 1/2
wavelength?  Does it really matter if they are not 1/4 wave multiples?  Am I
compromising the system by running the radials at an angle of around 30
degrees to the vertical?  It would be very difficult to keep them at 60 ft at
their ends.  Ground mounting the vertical is a no-no since I have lots of
trees and guys at lower heights.
I would really appreciate input on this antenna from you guys.
Bill K4XS