Topband: Pennant ant.

John Tindle john_tindle@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:29:40 -0000

I would like to erect a pennant Rx antenna. it would have to be
suspended from my tower which is also a shunt fed vertical on top band.
If i feed it to the RX socket on my
Ft1K MP am I likely to get RF into the transceiver & blow
front end?..any comments please..John GW3JXN.

P.S.  John, many guys will tell you this so I'll save a few posts...
A pennant is effectively a phased vertical array and should be located
as far away as possible from a resonant antenna...especially a vertical.
If I were putting up a pennant, I wouldn't even use a metal mast to support
it.  A remote location will also solve the second problem of RF into the MP!
(Actually you would blow the front end of the external preamp necessary with
a Pennant.)    73,  Bill W4ZV