Topband: Ground Radials

ragnar otterstad otterstad@enter.vg
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:57:09 +0100

WA2AEH:
>As per my previous msg, I will soon be installing an
>inverted "L" and of course I must install ground radials.

I used one of those from my last OZ8RO  QTH,  i.e. W1BB design some 58
meters long with series capacitor at the feed point.  The radials were abt 2
meters above ground to allow people to walk under them. ( it was on public
property !!! ) and with random lengths. I ended up with 14
radails in different directions, only 2 were full length , 40 meters long ).
I worked some 150 countries before moving back to Norway, including VK0IR.

What I found, was that I needed horisontal antenna on the side for reception
when the static level became too high.  I used random length wires on the
ground with a pre-amp.

Have fun.  GL  73  Rag LA5HE Also JW5HE OZ8RO.