Topband: RE: Pacific 160n Contest strategy

Richard Karlquist richard@karlquist.com
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:21:03 -0700

VK6VZ:
>Just to let you all know that the Pacific 160m Contest 2001 will be run
>this year on Saturday 21 July 2001, from 0700 - 2300 UTC.

Maybe someone can help me on strategy for this contest.  The start time is
midnight local time in California.  When would the VK/ZL sunset peak occur?
(hopefully during the contest!) My sunrise is around 6AM.  Any
recommendations
as to whether my sunrise would be better or not than the VK/ZL sunset (or
maybe both are equally likely to have good condx).  Does it make any sense
to operate between these peak times (like at 3AM local time)?  I am assuming
that after 7 AM local time, the contest is basically over for me.

I am planning to put up 550 ft beverages pointing straight east (270
degrees) and
SSE (210 degrees).  Are these likely to cover it pretty well, or do I need
additional ones for skew path/long path?

Are massive pileups likely on P29?

Rick N6RK