Topband: Odd sourses of noise..

W9EVI@aol.com W9EVI@aol.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:19:35 EDT

     For years, normal 160 mtr background noise, heard on the vertical, was
about S9. Recently, I had the 'phone company short and ground all unused
pairs of lines, out and inside. Noise is now S6-7.
     Bothers come in bunches. A neighbor with a brand new BMW dropped by to
show me the beautiful car. The noise on 160 went almost to the meter pin. BMW
now experimentally uses High Intensity Discharge
(HID) headlights. The bulbs use xenon, various halide salts,  and a gap, over
which high voltage jumps. Not unlike lights at international sports events -
both use the discharge principle. Watch for this. My local FCC office doesn't
know what the heck I'm talking about, a not surprising deficiency.    ...

Mac Reynolds, W9EVI