Topband: AA6TT finally moves to Vermont; 160m 4-square question

Lee Ward lee@crcltd.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:56:30 -0500

Topbanders,

When I put up my 160 antenna, I just gathered up 10 sections of 25G, a
top section, 3 insulators on a 4' section and 20' of chain-link fence
top rail. The insulators are about 2' above the ground. The guys are
30'/60'/90' and are broken up with egg insulators. At the tower I have
2' fiberglass insulators. The coax attaches at the bottom without any
tuning. I had N0EUH on the top of the tower adjusting the top pole as I
checked resonance with the MFJ box. Seemed pretty good at the time,
1.2:1 at 1.830MHz. Couldn't tell any difference with him on or off the
tower. I don't claim to be a purest, just wanted a good antenna for
topband.

Now, a good question. Has anyone tried to add some sort of stub on the
side of a 160 vertical to add 80/75 sort of like a Hy-Tower does
40-20-15-10? I have been thinking about that for a couple of years. Any
ideas?

Lee, K0LW