Topband: Beverage termination

Hal Kennedy n4gg@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:01:23 -0500

Greetings - Im new to the reflector and relatively new to 160..but an EE and
active ham for 40 years.  I believe I have a novel concept for terminating
beverages...but before I offer it up, Id like a little feedback on the
current state of termination discussions, regarding the vertical wire vs.
sloped wire configurations. (Thereby possibly avoiding looking like a
complete idiot!)

As I understand it, there is a viewpoint that the vertical wire terminatons
(this discussion applies to both ends) are a significant enough part of the
antenna that they will degrade F/B and pattern.  This effect being more
significant as one goes up in frequency.  I have done a fair amount of
modeling with EZNEC, which supports this view -- as does ON4UN's book. The
'answer' to this view being the sloping of the last 50 feet or so of the
beverage, providing a low angle termination that has negligible pick-up in
the vertical plane.  Sloping terminations are, however, not deer and people
friendly ways to end the antenna.

I think there is an alternate viewpoint that it doesn't matter much, or
maybe not at all, on 160M, where the vertical wire at around 9 feet of
height does not introduce enough signal into the antenna to matter.
Does this pretty well sum up 'conventional wisdom?'

Hal N4GG