Topband: 160m Conditions last night!

Roger P ve3zi@hotmail.com
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:28:16

In this neck of the woods the band was completely and utterly dead - even
the static from the US East Coast snow storm was quite weak. A look at the
Auroral Oval showed it to be well south of James Bay, and when it's like
that I have no chance.

Sometimes I find that when auroral activity is high (but not that high!), I
have a pipeline to Europe when other NA are only getting weak signals. This
doesn't happen very often, but it's nice when it does. I guess with the very
high absorption this pipeline moved a long way south.

Last night things were somewhat better - CW0Z and 3G0Y were reasonable
signals - but nothing heard from Europe and ZS6UT was about 449 instead of
his usual 589.

73 Roger
VE3ZI
North East Ontario