Topband: ant-field flooded

DF2PY df2py@t-online.de
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 09:49:04 +0100

hello reflectees !
Due to flooding by the Rhine-river my antenna field is under water.
The three element 160m vertical array still works as it is still a bit above
water. Band sounded empty after 0500z. Then N7JW came thru about 20min  b4
sunrise. He peaked 589 on the beverage (which is now as well only 2 feet above
water).
After a ragchew-type QSO with him, Lee-W6BH called in with solid 569 sigs.
It seemed to me that the water helped definitely to do the QSOs. Of course i
could not tell about deterioration of beverage performance above a good
conducting surface- which is the standard theory- because all bevs here are
now above water.
I hope to have this favourable condition for a few days and i will report any
special discoveries. BTW the resonant frequency of the array dropped several
kcs
with rising waters.             73 de wolf