Topband: Rx Loop and Tower Radiating Noise?

Greg Chartrand w7my@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:56:18 -0800 (PST)

Steve,

Absolutely, it will radiate noise. Long time ago I
observed the same situation. I had a large loop
rotatable about 60' away from my xmit antenna and it
always nulled at the vertical. I took a df radio out
and everywhere I went in my neighborhood, I nulled on
the vertical. Eventually I found if I floated my
antenna, the re-radiation ended. I had an inverted L
matched with a in series variable cap. The interesting
this was that If I grounded the antenna, the noise was
there, floating, all gone. It only took about 20 pf to
ground for me to hear the re-radiation! I installed a
relay that floated the antenna on rx. The loop ended
up nulling at my real noise source and became an
effective rx antenna for me.

Greg
W7MY