Topband: Common mode filters...help

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 18:04:08 -0400

I think I misunderstood this connection.

 > Question: This seems to be simply an RF choke on the shield of the coax
 > = (same as winding the coax into a loop).....therefore, would it not =
 > accomplish the same thing to just wind a high impedance RF choke on a =
 > toroid and insert it at the feedpoint between the coax shield and the =
 > antenna?

I assumed this described a bifilar choke of some sort, and not a
single winding choke!

A choke only on the shield would "disconnect" the shield and
make things worse. The only workable choke is a bifilar winding or
a coaxial cable used in the winding.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com