Topband: switching pwr supply noise problem

Zoltan.Pitman@libertel.nl Zoltan.Pitman@libertel.nl
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:25:43 +0100

Hello,

Before you start buying and installing external filters, I recommend to open
up the noisy PS itself and take a look at the mains connection. You will
often see the AC filter included in the PCB design but the filter itself is
not built in - the capacitors are left out and the connection points of the
coils are shorted over.

The suitable components (I tend to use 1nF/400V and 100 uH) you can buy
yourself in Radioshack-like store for cents or take them out from scrapped
old equipment.

Recently I had to track down some noise sources in my neighborhood. What I
found a real shame that this problem occurred not only at the cheap
aftermarket models but in products of well-known brands like Phillips, Sony
or Compaq.

Best regards,

Zoli HA1AG

> I have had good luck fixing these noisy computer power supplies by
> putting a high quality AC line filter in the computer AC line
> cord. The
> W3NQN AC line filter and the ICE AC line filter work great.

<snip>