Topband: DX, Radials and Noise

Roger Parsons ve3zi@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 20:00:41 +0000

This morning ZK1NCP was audible from 1100Z until after my sunrise with some
periods of QSB. Also heard ZL3IX for about 30 minutes, but Greg couldn't
hear me - not one ..--.. !

I think I agree with W1BB about the number of radials. My consistent,
although anecdotal, experience is that very large numbers of radials do
improve things. There is no doubt that 4 elevated radials can provide an
apparently excellent ground plane. Many, including me, believe that antenna
performance with a few elevated radials is substantially worse than a
similar system using many ground radials. I feel there is more to it than
simply lowering the loss resistance to a small amount. And finally, speaking
as a fractional dB collector, 1dB is a significant amount!

For two years I have been intermittently plagued with power line noise. I
failed to df it on Top Band as I would get a null onto the nearest pole, and
because of the nature of the land I could not easily get very far from the
line. I then built a 130MHz set based on a RS air band receiver. I never
found any strong source of noise and the noise would always vanish when I
went looking. It has not been a major priority as my beverages are way out
in the bush and have not been affected. However, for the past few weeks the
noise was on constantly, so I set out again with the 130MHz set, and found a
noisy pole a few hundred metres from the house. I banged the pole quite
gently with my hand and the noise went away. It has not come back since! On
the grounds that I don't really want to wade through the snow later to bang
the pole I have asked the power company (Ontario Hydro) to fix it. They say
they will.

73 Roger
VE3ZI