Topband: ICE Broadcast filters

W9UCW@aol.com W9UCW@aol.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:54:50 EST

I have seen references here, in QST, and on "Ham Links" about  power capable
rf filters with great specs (and prices) from "Industrial Communications
Engineers" in Indianapolis. I can't seem to get the web address that I have
to respond and can't find them in the AOL yellow pages. Anyone have better
info about "ICE LTD"? I'm interested in the 402x filter.
We live on the Mexican border and there are some monster AM stations on the
other side of the Rio Grande. Besides that, we now have a 50,000 watter on
1530 a few miles north of us, with a 6 tower array beamed at Mexico....and we
sorta get in the way. We even have an "oldies" station on 1700khz!  Boy,
whatamess! I put a much better highpass filter than the original in the Omni
6+, and a 1530 suckout besides that. These steps eliminated 90% of the junk
across the HF spectrum. But now the broadcast voltage on the 160 fullwave
loop and on the 82' vert is so high that there are birdies every 10 khz below
about 3 mhz, probably mixed/rectified by the front end protective diodes that
are before the highpass. Tried other rigs and the problem is always worse.
It's not the joints in the rain gutters, 'cuz we don't have any! HI --Anyway,
I would like to try one of those ICE filters externally. It might come in
handy for other things, too. Would also appreciate any other thoughts on the
subject. 73's and best DX on Topband this season, Barry, W9UCW