Topband: Question: Guy wires as verticals, also phased

George & Marijke Guerin gmguerin@voyager.net
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:32:12 +0100

>From my view, Denny, K8DO, suggested a good option.  Making one section of
guy wire a driven element against ground radials, and inductively loading
the other two as reflectors.  One would need an insulator about 39 - 40
meters above the feed point to get resonance on the driven guy wire.
If the top loading on the tower is not too big, (electrically 3/8 wavelength
or less) one can shunt feed the tower on 160 and use the guy wire sections
as directors and reflectors.  That would mean making the sections of guy
wire short enough to all be directors and making the other two reflectors,
again with inductors.  If one could go to four guy wires on the top section,
the side guys could be left open and the front and back could be director
and reflector with the proper inductance.  I think that is shown in ON4UN's
Low Band DXing book as well.
Dont forget to break up the lower guy lines with insulators to avoid
interactions.
73
George    K8GG