Topband: Band Plan comments.

Joe Subich, K4IK w8ik@subich.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:30:29 -0400

> In the ARRL press release regarding how the FCC views the acceptable
> variations to USA amateurs not following accepted Band Plans, there were
> two words we should focus on.  They are: "substantial justification".
> Now, I am no lawyer, and I really don't want to try to be one, but my
> common sense needs to ask the question this way.  Is there substantial
> justification to utilize the lower part of the 160 meter band for SSB
> during the few "events" per year that are World Wide in nature?  It is
> my belief that there probably is, due to the fact of the historical
> frequency usage for short lived "events", such as World Wide SSB
> contests.

I suspect the Commission (Riley) will not have a significant amount of
indigestion if US contest participants use common sense ... including:

1) Don't call CQ (run) below 1843 on phone!
2) Transmit below 1843 only to answer CQs from DX stations outside
   North America (or those countries in North America who do not
   have allocations above 1843)
3) Do not answer North American CQs below 1843

On the other hand, if one of the northeast big guns is calling CQ
on 1829 (1835, 1838, ... pick your poison), I would bet they get a
letter of inquiry from Mr. Hollingsworth.

I would hope DX participants would consider the US bandplan and
listen up for US rather than encouraging on frequency pileups.  It
should work to the DX stations' benefit as they should be able to
make DX to DX contacts (pick up some "easy" multipliers) free of US
QRM below 1843!

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK