Topband: Riley is Wrong

W2pm@aol.com W2pm@aol.com
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:58:48 EDT

Riley's use of Federal enforcement action on a volunteer bandplan is wrong. It will not withstand a legal challenge and can be the basis of undermining the great efforts he has done thusfar (except when he tried this on "content" issues. I say this because uneven and selective enforcement is unfair to us all despite the offense.  IF he is willing to do this on 160, why not do it on 40 when the split ops clobber QSO's in progress? And I'd argue that any US station operating split on 40 in the legal US fone band to a Euro station working fone on our CW band and QRMing US CW Q's is also guilty of that QRM. So this can get messy.

The Bandplans are great ideas and are considered "gentlemen's agreements". Anyone violating should not be considered a gentle(wo)man and ostrizied by their peers.  FCC needs to keep out of this one.