Topband: switching pwr supply noise problem

Tim Duffy k3lr@k3lr.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:55:09 -0500

I have had good luck fixing these noisy computer power supplies by
putting a high quality AC line filter in the computer AC line cord. The
W3NQN AC line filter and the ICE AC line filter work great.

Last year I tracked down a nasty 160 meter buzz to a neighbors house.
This year 3 more have popped up, but they are all on 80 meters. I use an
Icom R-1 for a portable receiver. Look for the same buzz sound every 30
KHz (signal strength may very).

I sure wish the FCC would mandate strict standards (European power
supply RF filtering is much better) for how much switching supply
garbage can be emitted down the neutral (ground) of the AC service. 160
and 80 meters would be a much cleaner place!

73,
Tim K3LR