Topband: Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 06:53:30 -0700

>The other day I saw something quite ironic at our local post office.
>There on the door, a bright red sign with white lettering was posted.
>It stated that cell phones are banned inside the post office lobby
>because they interfere with the point-of-sale terminals the clerks
>use. At least someone besides the hams is getting blamed in this
>rare case. Various electronics manufacturers have been very
>successful in lobbying and getting themselves exempted from any
>meaningful RFI immunity requirements. ... ...

//  The problem is untraceable money.  Manufacturers of RFI-prone
electronic equipment donate "soft money" to the approiate political party
for the tacit use of politicians who will restrain the FCC from doing the
right thing.  Telephone RFI is one example.  According to law, the FCC
tried to prevent the marketing of RFI-susceptable telephones, but they
were stopped by CONGRE$$.   Ironically, most cases of telephone RFI can
be cured by placing  1/4 watt resistors in series with the inputs of the
ICs and tranistors.  Probable cosr:  c. 10-cents.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end