Topband: VK6VZ back at full-tilt

Steve Ireland sire@iinet.net.au
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 07:22:01 +0800

G'day from Glen Forrest

Thanks to all those on the reflector who wished me well after the
tower/antennas got vandalised.  Everthing is back up in the air now - just
in time for the equinox - and there is an additional transmit antenna to
back up the inverted vee dipole with its apex at 90'  (seems like a popular
height for an antenna...).  There is also a 6' high ring-loc farm type
fence all around the property (to keep away idle hands).

The new antenna is a Marconi-T with a 66' vertical section, over a 1/8 wave
ground screen (just about six more radials to put down for 360 degree
coverage) and will be doing lots of tests over the next twelve months to
see how it goes on DX vs the inverted vee. The top of the T comes off the
top of the tower at 90', slanting/sloping down to about 50/55' at its
lowest point.

Owing to my ground conductivity (gravel stuck together with red clay and
granite/coffee rock floaters) and latitude/longitude, mainly vertical
polarised antennas  have proved not the best at this location, but am
hoping it can be a secret weapon on north/south paths (i.e. South America)
over the next twelve months.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ