Topband: TopBand Mailing List Users

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:37:17 -0400

KN4LF:
> provided that freedom of speech is respected.

W5USM:
>And when has this not been true on the TopBand reflector?  Bill has
FAITHFULLY administered THE PREMIERE reflector in ham radio.

Hi All!

        In fact, freedom of speech is not now and never will be an
objective of this reflector.  I follow our reflector guidelines below
which have never included freedom of speech:

of information on 160-related topics ONLY. Our goal is to keep 160
information content high and noise low. Do not post questions about general
topics like equipment wanted/for sale, E-mail addresses needed, etc.
Occasional problem 160 QSL requests are OK but use this reflector ONLY as a
last resort after trying the usual sources. Feel free to post 160-related
questions, but request responses directly and then summarize them in a
followup post.

DO NOT USE THIS REFLECTOR TO POST COMPLAINTS, PERSONAL CRITICISMS, ATTACKS,
ETC. VIOLATORS OF THIS POLICY WILL BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT NOTICE.

Be considerate of other subscribers who have bandwidth limitations and edit
posts for succinctness (include ONLY relevant excerpts of previous posts).
When responding to a specific individual, think carefully before copying to
the other 980 of us on the reflector.

Minimize noise, minimize bandwidth, maximize 160 information, act like
gentlemen and enjoy!

        There are plenty of other places like on-the-air nets, Internet
chat rooms, etc. to practice "freedom of speech", but most of the better
reflectors are now moderated to eliminate off-topic posts, etc.  I had
a very unpleasant experience with a BMW motorcycle reflector in my
early days on the Internet that shaped my views about what a reflector
should and should not be.  That reflector was filled with endless chatter
between a few people and very little information buried in all the noise.
I finally gave up in disgust because of its very low signal-to-noise
ratio.  If I sometimes seem arbitrary, it's because I don't ever want
the same thing to happen here.  I like to remind the "freedom of speech"
gang that they also have "freedom to leave" if they don't like the
reflector guidelines!  I would rather err by offending a few but
ensuring that the reflector serves the other 980 of us.

        I'm even violating our guidelines in posting this.  ;-)
Enough chatter and back to 160 information which is our true objective.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Please do consider a donation to support the contesting.com
reflectors at  http://www.eham.net/cart/product/111 .  I personally get
much more good information from contesting.com reflectors than from all
other subscriptions combined and have already made my contribution.