Topband: Top loading coil

Bob Tellefsen n6wg@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:01:15 -0700

I recently took down my 160m vertical so I could put up a taller mast.

I got a good look at the coil after being out in the elements for one year.
The coil was wound with 1/8" diameter copper tubing, and thin PVC tubing
strips for spacers.  It looks terrible, like it's been through a fire.  Here
on the shore of SF Bay we have some salt in the air, plus the air pollution
of any major metropolitan area.  I'm sure there has been some serious
chemical activity going on.

I intend to wind a new coil, but I need help with some way to preserve it.
What can I soak the coil in, or paint or spray on it to prevent its
deterioration in such a short time, while still maintaining reasonable Q?
What are other folks doing to protect their coils?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

73, Bob N6WG