Topband: Low band activity from DU9/N0NM

George Taft W8UVZ@voyager.net
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:42:54 -0400

Jon Rudy has indicated he is up and QRV for the season from the
Philippines.  I have seen him posted on the DX Summit at 3.505 Mhz at
0915Z and more times at 1315Z. Further, Jon says:

> Did some radial work today and now the station is in shape for the new season.  2 Pennants up and more radials.
> The radial situation was worse than I thought.  Many had been cut and so now I have about 45 but many of them are
> very short, a few feet.  I did put some in the cracks in the drive way and hot glued them in so that I don't have to move
> them in the morning. The symmetry of my radials is something else.  Does the symmetry of the radials affect the
> radiation pattern?  I have them all running in 2 directions.  To get some over the drive ways I have them bundled
> through a plastic conduit and then spread out a bit after a 15 foot run.   The bandwidth is centered at about 1820 and
> 2:1 goes up to 1850 and I presume down to 1790,  Does this seem wide?  On 80 the antenna is flat from 3500 and
> SWR rises to 2:1 at 3600.  That seems excessively wide.
>
> I will be on starting at 0945z for US for about an hour and then on and off during my evening.  I will also be getting up
> at 2100z on weekends for EU.  As the season opens up I will start to be on nightly looking for east coast (0945+).  As
> usual 1828.3
>
> I worked my first 160 QSO in the US last night.  K6TQ gave a 539.   Wonder if the radial work will imporve anything?
>
> See you on the bands.   ...jon

I've always encouraged Jon to place all the radials he can but his plot
is ltd and the wire comes up missing if too obvious.  Also encourage
higher vertical portion of his inverted L but I think he's pretty maxed
out with his "bamboo tower".

Hopefully, he will continue to improve his rx situation with pennants in
different directions but pse remember that DU is NOT quiet
electrically!  So pse save your "no ears" comments - he's doing his best
from the area he  has to available to him. And he continues to patiently
appear often, calling CQ for hours on the low bands.

Good luck.  Hopefully, your patience will be rewarded.

73  George  W8UVZ