Topband: Discouraging News re 4U1UN

W2pm@aol.com W2pm@aol.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:32:06 -0400

I spoke to a key person here in NY close to the situation and shared the views here re a 4U1UN operation especially on 160. However, as some suspected, internal politics re the ham station and club - some of which less than savory - indicates nothing will happen for a while due to the political issues which seem to focused on a particular person...  Apparently much - or at least some - of the equipment has been sold off somehow and there is not much left aside from the dysfunctional antennas.  There are locals who think the situation could be readily reversed but only after the negative people issues are addressed. They urged patience as things are being worked but apparently for no near-term expectation..

That being the case does anyone want to sponsor me and my FT817 to a DXepedition there? I can run my 72 inch whip and L network from the little park on the grounds of UN HQ - even may be able to run a radial into the East River if I can some wire which won't immediate corrode from the water "quality".