Topband: Finding powerline noise

DF2PY df2py@t-online.de
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:27:57 +0100

hi reflectees !
Ford - N0FP- raised the idea of "probing" a power- pole for identifying bad
insulators. The approach thru a coupling that relies on the magnetic coupling
into a pick-up-loop will not work, remember the currents are very low as we are
dealing with static voltages of high generator impedance. I would rather use the
gradient of the voltage against ground potential.but this is somewhat tricky as
we are not dealing with the 60cycle side only, we are looking for the spectrum
in the arcs that get into the HF range.And the pole that shows big 60 cycle
currents is NOT necessarily the one that emitts the static discharges containing
HF spectrum after Fourier analysis. I guess the proven method of using AM radios
with built-in ferrite antennas is still the way to go, if the relation of effort
and effect is of any importance.
73 & merry xmas de wolf  -df2py-